Friday, March 28, 2014

Instant Karma

Dear Quinn,
Naturally, since I posted yesterday about you being the perfect toddler, you decided to make me eat my words last night.

For some reason unbeknownst to us, you came home from school yesterday acting like a complete maniac. You normally happily eat whatever we are having for dinner, but even though you were excited to identify "broccoli!" and "carrot!" in last night's meal - you refused to eat it. After a lengthy tear-filled battle in which I explained that you would not be getting a cookie, we compromised with vanilla yogurt.

Daddy told you over and over again to use your spoon, so you threw it onto the floor, dipped both hands into the yogurt and licked it off all while defiantly staring him down.

"Nooooo!" was the word of the day. You did not want to take a bath.  After 15 minutes of trying and trickery, I finally had to pick you up and carry you upstairs while you kicked, screamed and tried to dive out of my arms. When I set you down you immediately flopped onto the floor for an epic tantrum the likes of which we haven't seen in months. You banged your head against the carpet, kicked your feet and screamed as loudly as you could.

I began to think that something was wrong or that you were in pain - but then I tried an experiment. I said, "bye-bye" and closed the door.  You immediately stopped crying, got up and pushed it open. As soon as you saw me you dove back onto the carpet and began wailing again. It was a very impressive show.

Eventually you calmed down and let me bathe you, as long as I performed a trick with your squirty doggie bath toy throughout the entire duration. You didn't even want to brush your teeth. As I mentioned in the last post, after bath time you sit quietly in front of the mirror to get your hair brushed and dried. Yesterday, you ran around naked and screaming until I wrestled you into your jammies. 

What happened, Quinn?  Did Mommy jinx your good behavior?

It's ok, baby. We all have our days. We calmed down enough to read some books, but it was getting very late. You freaked out again when we turned off the light and I was forced to walk you until, exhausted, you fell asleep on my shoulder. Quinn, it was the best. I never get to rock you to sleep anymore, so I treasured the opportunity - even though you had a crazy night, even though you are starting to get very heavy.  You're worth it every time. You don't have to be perfect - nobody is - but we will always, always love you no matter what. 


1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh at this- happens every time! Smart little girl testing you already! Miss you guys a lot!

    ReplyDelete